Tuesday, July 5, 2011

not so smooth sailing

Things have not been great. I am not emotionally in a good place. The reason for this encompasses many, many things. I have been this way for almost a week. I am constantly stressed out, no matter what actually happens throughout the day. We have a week long vacation coming up next week with my in laws and our roommate and I'm a little apprehensive. I'm nervous how the baby will be away from home for so long. I'm disappointed because I can't put on a bathing suit and lay in the sun and enjoy the beach, because I am disgusted by and ashamed of how my body looks. I worry that everyone will be watching me care for the baby like a hawk, and secretly think I'm doing everything wrong.

I got spanked yesterday. It hurt, but I didn't cry. I needed to. We missed Saturday maintenance again. J was tired and fell asleep on the couch. I knew he was exhausted, as was I. Obviously, he didn't intentionally fall asleep, but my feelings were hurt all the same. Even though it's usually painful and I don't enjoy the actual spanking itself, I look forward to maintenance. It's a chance for us to reconnect and just be focused on each other, something that doesn't ever happen otherwise, now that the baby is here. So, this being the third Saturday in a row that he'd fallen asleep, I felt unimportant. I was harboring a little resentment after what felt like being pushed aside. Sunday, J had a horrible migraine. I felt awful because no matter what he did, his head hurt. He couldn't sit up, or stand or walk without his head pounding. That brings us to yesterday, and I was all out of sorts.

I texted J telling him I still hadn't had maintenance. (HINT,HINT in other words). He promised I would get it, and he kept his word. When the baby went down for a nap and we had the house to ourselves, he ordered me to the bedroom. He used the hairbrush first, and I could barely stay still. It was worse than I remembered it! I begged him to use something else. Finally, he agreed, and he started using the doggin bat. Let me tell you, the damn thing hurts when it's used on your sit spot or thighs! He brought up the fact that I'd been teasing him about falling asleep on the couch while he spanked. I wanted to tell him that was how my hurt manifested itself, but I didn't. After the spanking was over, I felt just...empty. And upset. I didn't know why. The spanking was pretty long, and hard! Emotionally, I just hadn't reached the place I needed to be. But J had ended the spanking proclaiming that his arms hurt, so I felt like I couldn't ask for more even though I really needed it. He held me, and we talked a little. He asked when I was seeing my doctor.

"Tomorrow," I answered.

"So does that mean we can have sex tomorrow night?" he asked.

"Nope." I told him playfully.

"I might have to take it from you," he whispered in my ear.

"I might fall asleep." ok, that wasn't the best way to approach this, but I couldn't take it back now.

He was upset. "Hey, that's mean! I didn't fall asleep on purpose! You don't think that, do you?" he demanded.

I didn't answer. My eyes were filling with tears. Of course I know he didn't fall asleep on purpose, but that didn't change my hurt feelings.

"You do, don't you?"

We laid there in silence for a bit. I knew he was angry and I was afraid to say anything. The silence was agonizing, as I imagined every terrible thing he must be thinking about me.

"Lets go," he said.

We went to the living room where we sat in silence again. I cried again.

"I gotta say, it's pretty upsetting for you to think I intentionally do things to blow you off," he said finally.

Still crying, I was drowning in my emotions. I could hardly tell which way was up. I was so sad that I'd disappointed him. I couldn't speak so I sat in silence with tears rolling down my face. After awhile, and ALOT more crying, we hugged, and J told me that he'd expected me to have more faith in him than that.

He's right. I should. And, I do. I never thought he did it on purpose, though I was acting as if he did. I was already feeling insecure, and missing the spanking only amplified that, and I found myself in an internal downward spiral, positive that he wanted nothing to do with me. Today, I feel good about J and I. I know he's not mad at me. I don't feel good about myself, though. I need to work on a lot of things.

11 comments:

  1. Heather,

    I remember after my first baby...I loved my baby girl, but I was depressed, too, about how my body wasn't the way it used to be. A wise woman told me that it took me 9 months to grow the baby and to give myself at least 9 months to get totally back in shape.

    I'm sorry that you're having such a tough time. Hormones are horrible at times, lol!

    I have two suggestions for you. First, make sure your diet is good...that means whole foods, whole grains, salads, fruits/veggies, legumes, nuts, seeds, lean meats.

    Second, make sure you're getting at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. Walking is a great exercise and you could put your baby boy in the stroller and go for a brisk walk. The fresh air will help perk you up and exercise releases endorphins to help you feel better.

    Kitty

    P.S. I know I said two suggestions, but I thought of a third one:)! Think of something to be thankful for. Every day! Thank God for your husband and your baby, if nothing else. Being thankful helps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hun - baby hormones are horrible but they do go away eventually. Kitty has some really sound good advice and wise words - i hope you try to follow her suggestions- they will make you feel better.
    Good luck - things do get better :) and i knwo its easy for us all to say that but its true - honesty. They get better, it just takes time, and just keep talking to J, he will understand more than you think
    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitty, thank you so much for all your advice! I know it will take time, its just so disheartening. I know it will get better. :)

    Kiwi, thank you! he's incredibly supportive, and I know it'll be over before I know it, onto the next phase!

    Marines wife, he will be eight weeks thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My youngest is one and I have two more, ages two and five. I didn't know until my youngest was born about "baby blues." It's completely different than PPD, and 100% normal. I found it hard to sleep during the day, but I know my emotions are directly linked to sleep and the amount of attention I get from Jake. Just a thought; I hope it helps. As for weight, we went to Beaufort, SC with my husband's parents when my oldest was three months old. Everything you said reminded me of that trip. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I meant to say about the weight that everyone will be too consumed by the baby to even notice! I'm so absent minded these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, hang in there, baby blues happen. And TALK TO YOUR HUSBAND! Tell him all of your feelings so they don't come between you, ok?

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still am having baby blues and my little guy is 9 weeks...it has happened everytime so I know that's what it is. Exercising a little in my living room...getting fresh air and eating well really DO help. Also, I just tell Z "i don't feel like myself today...I'm sad and I don't know why... Ithink it's hormones" and he's very understanding and then I don't feel like I have to be "fake" all day. About your body...wear your bathing suit and if you can find a cute cover up FIND one. That's what I did - and I'm sure you are beautiful anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Heather, my heart aches for you. The baby blues stink soooooo bad. You are being so hard on yourself...don't worry about the bathing suit...do what I do, put it on...strut your stuff...and find the largest lady out there to sit beside :) (just kidding, but i hope you smiled!!) You just had a baby!!! You're not supposed to be all toned and skinny....if you were, I'd wonder who was taking care of your child!!! My baby is 14...and i STILL use that excuse! As for the empty feeling....maybe you need more talking, etc...before the actual event. I feel that's when my spankings to reconnect are most effective...otherwise, sometimes it's just pain....as Sara said, TALK TO HIM!!! And be sure to ROCK THAT SUIT....:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Heather! Hang in there! Its really hard adjusting to a new baby, and I think the hardest part is learning to accept your new body. Be patient it will get better, you are a new mom, and you are doing AWESOME! I remember the pressure of being new and wanting to do everything right, just remember you are doing what is right for you and that is different for every family!

    I'm praying for you!

    Huge hugs,
    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey sweetie!

    Hope you are feeling a bit better today. If not, know that there are lots of us out there who have been there and who are supporting you from afar! The first few months after giving birth are a MAJOR adjustment - for everyone ( your little one included!) Just know that it will end and everything will fall into place soon. Sending you lots of hugs, love and a sturdy shoulder to learn on. Msg anytime. You know where to find me. :)

    T

    ReplyDelete