Apparently, in April of 2010, a study was conducted in Sweden which was able to isolate a chain of proteins in breast milk now known as HAMLET ( Human Alpha-lactalbumin Made Lethal to Tumor cells) that can attack and kill over FORTY types of human cancer.
Since, more and more cancer patients are seeking out breast milk donors, believing that to be the key to their cure. Doctors in New Jersey have stated that it holds the potential to not only treating/curing cancer, but prevention as well. There are several milk banks across the country, and a patient can ask his/her doctor to write a prescription for breast milk if other treatments are proving ineffective.
As the EdenFantasys author states, this leaves only one thing, getting over the "ick" factor of drinking human milk. It's no secret that many in society find drinking human milk to be disgusting or weird, and that's in relation to children over a year or two...never mind adults. Breast feeding women are bullied in public, shamed into using restrooms and other unsavory places to feed their child. While I have no problem with women breast feeding their children, not even those who continue past what society sees as acceptable. I believe that if the child and mother are both still comfortable with and it remains a positive experience for both, then that's fine. That's not the point of this post, though, so I'll get on with it.
Admittedly, the thought of drinking breast milk, especially another persons, makes me cringe a little. When I was breast feeding my little one, I was curious and took a mini sip from a bottle I'd pumped, and my stomach turned. Remembering this makes me wonder if I'd be one of the people lining up at a milk bank, should I ever be diagnosed with cancer. I think, if I had to, I could over come the taste. To me, the societal influence would have nothing to do with my decision. In my mind, drinking milk from humans is more natural than to drink it from a cow, reasonably, I can see that. But the "ick" factor that is linked to bodily fluids might steer others far from this option.
I'm curious where my friends and readers stand on this. If you (or a family member) were to be diagnosed, would you be willing to try breast milk as treatment?
As the EdenFantasys author states, this leaves only one thing, getting over the "ick" factor of drinking human milk. It's no secret that many in society find drinking human milk to be disgusting or weird, and that's in relation to children over a year or two...never mind adults. Breast feeding women are bullied in public, shamed into using restrooms and other unsavory places to feed their child. While I have no problem with women breast feeding their children, not even those who continue past what society sees as acceptable. I believe that if the child and mother are both still comfortable with and it remains a positive experience for both, then that's fine. That's not the point of this post, though, so I'll get on with it.
Admittedly, the thought of drinking breast milk, especially another persons, makes me cringe a little. When I was breast feeding my little one, I was curious and took a mini sip from a bottle I'd pumped, and my stomach turned. Remembering this makes me wonder if I'd be one of the people lining up at a milk bank, should I ever be diagnosed with cancer. I think, if I had to, I could over come the taste. To me, the societal influence would have nothing to do with my decision. In my mind, drinking milk from humans is more natural than to drink it from a cow, reasonably, I can see that. But the "ick" factor that is linked to bodily fluids might steer others far from this option.
I'm curious where my friends and readers stand on this. If you (or a family member) were to be diagnosed, would you be willing to try breast milk as treatment?
Check out EdenFantasys for all your sex toy needs! They
have a wide selection of toys for females,
males, things to use together,
or alone ;)
Wow! That's really interesting. I knew that breast milk had healing properties (actually used it to treat my little one's pink eye once!) but I hadn't heard this before. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteIf I were diagnosed with cancer would I try breast milk...HECK YES! Where's the down side? BTW, women who breast feed have less of a chance of getting braast cancer themselves as well. Sara
ReplyDeleteI think if you are diagnosed with cancer you will try anything that may kill the beast.
ReplyDeleteThe first thing I was thinking would be men chasing after pregnant women.... *small smile* But I also read this week that there is a certain celeb who takes her dried umm..after birth via a pill every day for energy.
ReplyDeleteThere is so much that 'modern' medicine has to learn from natural sources. If breast milk really does have those factors why not? Yes, some may balk but I've heard weirder things that people do.
I had some one very very close to me that used to drink poison ivy tea (yes) to try and extend her life after being diagnosed with brain cancer. Did it work? I'm not sure but I firmly believe that she believed and she had more time with her family.
Those that aren't willing to try it have never been diagnosed or lost someone. Very interesting post.
Thanks for sharing it.
Fondly,
Adaline
I would definitely try it if I had cancer!! I'll admit I would be grossed out but I don't think it would hurt anything to try!! :)
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely!! During the 4 and a half years I was breastfeeding, we used breastmilk for EVERYTHING-- dripped in in ears for ear infections, rubbed in on skin for skin conditions like exzema, rashes, in eyes for pink eye. You name it. Liquid gold is what I called it. The stat on breast cancer is that your chance of getting breast cancer goes to ZERO if you've breastfed for 7 years or more-- remarkable! That's what they're for, right?
ReplyDeleteIt makes sense . All those great antibodies. You know where I stand on this one.
ReplyDeleteLaurie